Pre-Registration Guidelines for 201/202
Students are required to complete the pre-registration survey administered by the Psychology Department to pre-register and receive department approval for PSYC 201 & 202.
**Important note for students graduating No Later Than May 2020 and who still need to complete Psyc 210.
Psyc 210 will be offered for the LAST TIME in Spring 2020. Please plan accordingly.
300-Level Seminar Lottery Guidelines
Placement into 300-level psychology seminars is based on a lottery system. This process is designed to accommodate student preferences, promote fairness in course placement, and to ensure that majors are able to fulfill their program requirements in a timely manner. Completing the pre-registration survey enters you into the lottery process. (This survey replaces the forms that would previously have been filled out in person in the Psychology office.) Students who do not elect to take part in this process will need to select from among the courses with remaining seats after the lottery is completed.
It is important to note that because placement into 300-level courses is based on a lottery process, the order in which the pre-registration survey is completed has NO bearing on the courses you get approval for. The survey may be completed at any time during the pre-registration window. Majors are strongly encouraged to think carefully about their selections and meet with their advisors before they submit this survey.
Basic Guidelines for the Lottery:
- Students will be divided into groups according to their class status: Class status is determined by adding the earned (CUM) hours + the hours in progress (IP).
- Second semester seniors: 97+ credits
- First semester seniors: 82-96 credits
- Second semester juniors: 67-81 credits
- First semester juniors: 52-66 credits
- Sophomores: 22-51 credits
- There will be a lottery for each group. This is done so that all majors have a fair chance to receive department approval for at least one of the course(s) requested. Please Note: Being first to complete the pre-registration process has no bearing on what order approvals are assigned. A random number will be picked and used to determine the order in which preferences will be assigned.
- After the number has been selected, course approval will be assigned as follows:
- First Round…
- 2nd semester seniors will be placed in one of their top seminar choices.
- 1st semester seniors will be placed in one of their top seminar choices.
- Graduating seniors will be placed in a second seminar if they need it to complete their major.
- 2nd semester juniors will be placed in one of their top seminar choices.
- 1st semester juniors will be placed in one of their top seminar choices.
- Sophomores will be placed in one of their top seminar choices.
- Second round…
- 2nd semester seniors will be placed in a second seminar.
- 1st semester seniors will be placed in a second seminar.
- 2nd semester juniors will be placed in a second seminar.
- 1st semester juniors will be placed in a second seminar.
- First Round…
- Once the process is complete, an e-mail will be sent to all students who have participated in pre-registration. This email will indicate which courses they have been given permission to register for during the online registration period.
Things you can do to prepare for pre-registration:
- Run a degree audit and make sure that it includes any course(s) that may have been taken at another institution.
- Review course descriptions, paying close attention to what prerequisites may be needed and what concentrations are fulfilled before choosing your course preference(s).
- Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss any questions you may have. Please Note: All majors must meet with their advisor before Banner online registration to review course selection and receive their PIN. Majors are strongly encouraged to talk to their advisors before they make pre-registration selections.